Whether it’s your first summer in Arizona or your 100th, we all need reminders of how to deal with summer heat. Simple steps can make a huge difference in your health.
Top Ten Hot Weather Tips
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid dehydrating liquids: alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks can hurt more than they help.
- Wear protective clothing. Lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing helps protect against heat. Change your clothing if it gets completely saturated.
- Pace yourself. Slow down and work at an even pace.
- Schedule frequent breaks. Take time for rest periods and water breaks in a shaded or air conditioned area.
- Use a damp rag. Wipe your face or put it around your neck.
- Avoid getting sunburn. Use sunscreen and wear a hat if working outside.
- Be alert to signs of heat-related illness. Watch out for friends and family too!
- Avoid direct sun. Find shade or block out the sun if possible.
- Eat smaller meals. Eat fruits high in fiber and natural juice. Avoid high protein foods.
Heat stroke occurs when the body no longer sweats and body temperature reaches dangerous levels. Symptoms of heat stroke include:
- Dry, hot reddish skin and lack of sweating
- High body temperature
- Strong, rapid pulse
- Slurred speech
Heat exhaustion is the body’s response to the loss of water and salt, typically through sweating. Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:
- Excessive sweating
- Weakness or fatigue
- Dizziness and/or confusion
- Clammy skin
- Muscle cramps
- Flushed complexion
Heat cramps are painful cramps in the body’s muscles due to low salt levels and are typically caused by excessive sweating. Symptoms of heat cramps include:
- Muscle pain usually in the abdomen, arm or legs.
- Muscle spasms usually in the abdomen, arm or legs.
Heat Rash is an irritation of the skin caused by excessive sweating. Symptoms of heat rash include:
- Red cluster of pimples or small blisters
- Usually on neck and upper chest, groin area, under the breasts, and in elbow creases.
For everyone with children or grandchildren, use one of Britt’s Car Seat Coolers to save tears from your little ones.
Purchase a Car Seat Cooler!
Leave a Reply